What is SIACAS?
SIACAS (Study in Azerbaijan Centralized Admission Service) is an online platform located at portal.edu.az and organizing the admission of international students to higher education and secondary special institutions (e.g. universities, academies, colleges, conservatory, etc.) in Azerbaijan.
How to apply via SIACAS?
Everybody wishing to study in Azerbaijan may register via SIACAS – portal.edu.az, choose the institution and speciality he/she is interested in and apply. The submitted application is redirected to the respective institution for assessment. Once an initial decision is made, a notification appears in applicant’s personal account. Depending on the institution’s reaction to the application, the applicant may be asked to submit additional documents, participate in an online or offline interview and/or make a payment. After all the issues between the applicant and the institution are settled, the admission process ends and the to-be student may proceed with accommodation, visa, travel and other related concerns.
How much is the application fee?
Currently, application is free of charge.
What channels are available for foreign students to apply?
Following admission channels are available for foreigners to apply:
- Self-funded - The student's tuition, international transportation, insurance and living expenses are covered by her/himself.
- Through Bilateral Agreement - Applying for education in Azerbaijan within bilateral student-exchange programs established between the Republic of Azerbaijan on one side and the People's Republic of China, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Romania, or Tajikistan on the other. Information on the scholarship and country-specific details can be found from here: Reference
- Through International Exchange Programs - Apply for education in Azerbaijan within international exchange programs which might be one or more semesters long, one-sided or mutual, fully- or partially-paid international (for example, Erasmus, Mevlana, etc.).
- Exchange Opportunities between Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) - Apply for education in Azerbaijan within student exchange programs established on the basis of agreements between an Azerbaijani education institution and a foreign education institution. Such exchange programs might be one or more semesters long, one-sided or mutual, fully- or partially-paid.
- Through Contracts between HEIs and Legal Entities - Apply for one or more semesters long, fully- or partially-paid education in Azerbaijan on the basis of agreements concluded between an Azerbaijani education institution and local or foreign legal entities (for examples, student recruitment agencies, etc.).
What are the requirements for admission to universities?
It depends on the university of choice. However generally, for a bachelor degree, you should have a school leaving certificate; for master degree, you have to have a bachelor degree in a relevant field of study. For a PhD level you must have a master diploma.
What is the language of instruction in Azerbaijani universities?
The language of instruction at higher education institutions of Azerbaijan is Azerbaijani, Russian, Turkish or English. It depends on programme and university profiles.
Which documents are required for admission?
- Diplomas & Transcripts from prior High School & University studies;
- Copies of Passports;
- General health document, HIV/AIDS test document;
- Language certificate (s) (if available);
- Other relevant certificates (if available);
How do I obtain a Visa?
Foreigners and stateless persons can apply for a visa through diplomatic missions and consulates of the Republic of Azerbaijan Electronic visas through “ASAN Visa” system. E-visa is issued within 3 (three) working days, it will be valid for 30 days and the fee for it is 20$. For more information: www.evisa.gov.az
Do I need a residence permit to study in Azerbaijan?
Yes. According to the Azerbaijani Legislation, those who do not hold this type of permit must obtain a permit for temporary residence within 90 days from the day of entering Azerbaijan; in case you do not obtain this document, you will be expelled from the student list. For more information and assistance, please refer to the educational institution you are applying or admitted to.
What is the admission process for permanent residence permit holders?
In order to be admitted to secondary special and higher education institutions, you must take an entrance exam organized by the State Examination Center. For more information, please visit dim.gov.az. At the same time, the above-mentioned regulation does not apply to those foreign citizens who hold a permit for permanent residence and intend to apply for doctoral degrees.
What is the duration of programs in Azerbaijan?
Bachelor academic studies last either four or five years (240 or 300 ECTS) for full-time education (part-time education period is longer by one year). The length of studies at master level is either 1, 5 or 2 years (90 or 120 ECTS). Full-time education under the Doctor of Philosophy program lasts 3 years, part-time 4 years and through dissertation research 4 years. Full-time education under the Doctor of Sciences program lasts 4 years, part-time 5 years and through dissertation research 5 years.
What are the tuition fees?
Tuition fees depend on the speciality, the study level, its duration and the institution where the studies will take place.
Approximate costs range as follow:
Preparations Course - 600-2000 $ per year
Bachelor's Degree - 1000-2500 $ per year
Master`s Degree - 1000-4000 $ per year
PhD - 1000-4000 $ per year
What scholarships are offered?
The Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan and some local universities offer various types of financial aid resources, such as scholarships, fellowships, awards and loans:
- AZERBAIJAN SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME FOR CITIZENS OF THE ORGANIZATON OF ISLAMIC COOPERATION AND THE NON-ALIGNED MOVEMENT MEMBER COUNTRIES
“The Educational Grant Programme for the Citizens of the Member Countries of the Organization for Islamic Cooperation” and “The Educational Grant Programme for the Citizens of the Member Countries of the Non-Aligned Movement” were approved by the orders of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan on December 6, 2017 and on January 10, 2018, respectively. The Educational Grant (hereafter “scholarship”) Programmes provide an opportunity for selected 40 candidates on annual basis to study in the leading universities of Azerbaijan at the preparatory courses, undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, general medicine/residency programmes.
Provisions covered by the Scholarship:
- Tuition fee
- Fees for international travel
- A monthly living allowance for meals, accommodation and utility costs (800 AZN)
- Medical insurance
- Visa and registration costs
For further information: The page of the scholarship
- Khazar University International Scholarship Program (KUISP) Khazar University provides a limited number of merit-based scholarships. The applicant does not need to apply for a scholarship – if eligible, Khazar University will notify the applicant in the Offer of Admission. If offered, the scholarship will be reviewed on the annual basis by an appointed academic panel at Khazar University and may be extended for the next year of study, provided that the student’s academic performance is considered up to its level.
- ADA UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP OPTIONS.
University values the academic merit and performance of their students, and tend to reward it through generous scholarships, fellowships, and awards:
- Merit Based Scholarships for Undergraduate Students;
- Merit Based Scholarships for Graduate Students;
- Scholarships for Students with a Special Status;
- Heroes Tribute Scholarship;
- Alimardan Bay Topchubashov International Fellowship;
- Need Based Financial Aid: Work-Study Program;
- Haji Zeynalabdin Tagiyev Awards.
- Western Caspian University Offers Full and Merit-Based Scholarships for International Applicants who wish to pursue bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral (PhD) degrees at Western Caspian University. The aim of Western Caspian University scholarship is to encourage and support candidates with an excellent academic performance from low-income countries to study at Western Caspian University, a leading private university of Azerbaijan that offers quality education in the English language.
How can I ask further questions?
If you have other questions, you may ask through this email: [email protected]. If your question is related to admission issues of the universities, you may ask directly the university you are interested at to study.